It’s that season when feverish preparations begin – the Examination Fever. Many young students are receiving ready for the largest test of their academic lives, one that’ll determine their selection of career and how their futures will shape up. The 10th standard examinations or Board Examinations follow many patterns based on the syllabi and the academic councils the schools are affiliated to. Getting high marks and percentages overall in most subjects is key to enhancing odds of an excellent education in a reputed institution; therefore students should take extra steps in equipping themselves well in the preparations for exam study.
Students at this level have six to seven subjects with allocation of marks and grades combined for a topic grouping. Mathematics and Science take predominance over other subjects like Social Studies, English or Other Languages. The reason being for many technical courses post school and getting admitted into college be determined by excellent percentages in both of these subjects 2021 waec runs. While subjects like English be determined by the student’s excellent uptake of grammar and presentation of answers in a nice format with the relevant points concisely written, Mathematics and Science depend largely on accuracy in answers and results.
Some examination techniques for High School
• By understanding the format of exams corresponding to the syllabus undertaken, a student can work out a study schedule based on subjects that want more attention and time. Having a timetable based subject-wise and topic-wise will greatly benefit your study schedule; always remember to accomplish the schedule depending on the timetable you have prepared
• Referring to previous question paper samples and guides helps obtain an insight into the type of questions that may be expected and prepare a mental plan on how best to answer the questions
• Resorting to malpractices or depending entirely on memorizing content can be disastrous. In case of exam panic or a wrong move, your brain adopts a freeze making thinking and recollection difficult. It is way better to understand content, rephrase questions on how best to bring out the answers and keep doing the tasks over and over to master the technique and analyze and correct mistakes, especially in problem solving
• One of the finest approaches to retain content the student has read is to write down points or make brief notes that will remember key points to prepare the flow of content
• When in doubt, seek help. Parents, teachers, friends, guides are usually around to help clear doubts. Published guides help but where they fail is the type of one on one interaction that you could have with peers and superiors
• Learn to apply time management which will be very essential in answering question papers. Practicing writing speeds will help improve answering skills when time is of utmost importance
Besides these academic tips, there are several areas that the student must bear in mind when preparing for Board exams.
i. Select a study area without distractions and ambient noises from traffic, TV screens, computers and other gadgets that can be a disturbance or intrusion. Conversations with friends can be on a instances when you have a break from studying
ii. Getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep recharges the body and fills it with energy resources which are very essential. Skipping meals and sleeping less will tire the body and mind and make you exhausted by the full time examinations arrive
iii. Avoid places and situations that will cause anger and negative emotions to surface. The unnecessary anxiety and worry will not help by any means
iv. Always take constant breaks from study to re-energize your brain and body. Cramming the brain with a lot of information or a lot of facts in a short span of time is not a good idea. Take time off to indulge in a favorite hobby like listening to music, painting or photography; choosing a short walk and meeting friends for a cup of coffee is advisable provided this does not cut into your daily study schedule and you can get back into study mode again